Pages within Teaching Online
Using Live Chat
How to Chat Effectively
- Become familiar with Bb chat before your first session (see manual)
- You might establish and post rules for students ahead of time
- Limit chat to 6 or so students (more manageable)
- Schedule chat at many different times and days so all students can participate (be aware of time zone differences)
- Set a time limit (30 minutes, 1 hour)
- To keep up with the rapid pace of messages, type a student name and then enter, then type rest of your response - students will know not to interrupt too soon
- Tell students to keep comments short and to the point
- Use ". . . " to indicate more to come; use a period for end
- Convention states that you recognize students who enter the chat room with a "Hi John" - close the session with "Goodbye"
- Always post chat rules and procedure ahead of time
- Schedule various times (especially day and night) so that all students can fit them into their daily schedules
Last Updated: 09/18/2014
PLEASE NOTE: This link will take to a website outside of the college site.